The British Sugarcraft Guild (BSG) was started in 1981 by a group of enthusiastic cake decorators who had a love of the art of sugarcraft. With a swan and its reflection for its logo, a Newsletter for members and its motto ‘My Craft is my Art’ the BSG was born.
By becoming a member you will benefit from the following:
- The British Sugarcraft Newsletter – Published in March, June, September and December and is for members only. You will receive The British Sugarcraft News in a magazine style; it covers reports on events and has an ‘Exhibition Diary’ with forthcoming sugarcraft and allied events. It has photographs of members’ work from within the British Isles and International members. It also has skills pages, hints and tips, updates of food regulations and keeps members informed about what is happening in the Guild.
- Local Branch Events – There are approximately 140 Branches throughout the country. Most meet on a regular basis with invited speakers demonstrating various skills, techniques and projects. The Branch meetings are an opportunity to meet like-minded people and it also offers you the chance to take part in Branch events. Some have shops in attendance and also arrange workshops and trips. You can visit other Branches for a nominal fee; bring your membership card as some will give you a discount. Branch entry fees vary.
- Networking – The Guild (locally, regionally and nationally) has many actively involved. Don’t worry if you think your skills aren’t good enough – our members range from complete beginners through to professionals.
- Message Board – Part of our membership fees goes to paying for the running of a BSG website which incorporates a message board where members and non members can apply for a log on and then talk to like minded people. You can get help with a problem now, find out what’s on and where, about products, and view members’ sugarcraft pieces.
- Insurance – We can offer our members savings on insurance for Public and Products Liability Insurance.
- Discounts – Enjoy the benefits of discounts at many sugarcraft retailers; show your card when paying for discounts. Shops are not listed.
Throughout the year you will have the opportunity to –
- see stunning and creative displays of sugarcraft produced by members
- swap ideas, discuss the latest sugarcraft trends, themes and techniques
- compete in BSG exhibitions
- meet with fellow members from around the world
- see the latest tools, products and books from suppliers